HOLLYWOOD – American Crime Story: The People v OJ Simpson has been a surprise hit, with John Travolta and Cuba Gooding Jr starring in the true crime drama for FX.
I’ll say it right off the bat, I am enjoying American Crime Story: The People v OJ Simpson, but even its most ardent fans have to admit we are enjoying it sometimes for the wrong reasons. Here are five of them.
1. Everyone says exactly what the writers want the audience to know. Almost as if the writer has prepared a schematic of a screenplay and then forgot to write actual dialogue. So Robert Kardashian will tell his daughter Kim Kardashian that fame is a hollow thing and when he is having doubts about OJ’s innocence will say ‘I’m having doubts about OJ’s innocence’. Johnnie Cochran, a lawyer who only cares about winning, will say ‘I only care about winning’. And so it goes… No ambiguity, no layers, no subtlety.
2. Cuba Gooding Jr’s voice. It starts off whiny and by episode two I can still put up with it. After all, he has either just murdered his wife and the guy she was with or has just found out that his wife has been murdered, so he’s upset, but the whine goes on. And on. I’m not asking for strict verisimilitude, but OJ has a basso profondo and Cuba has a falsetto. Likewise, OJ was a noted football star and Cuba looks like the kid who got his butt smacked with wet towels by the big kids.
3. Marcia Clarke smokes lots of cigarettes and Sarah Paulson acts smoking lots of cigarettes. And it shows.
4. There has not yet been an opportunity for John Travolta to dance. Yes, I know John Travolta is a serious dramatic actor. Yes, I know he wants to get rid of the image of Staruday Night Fever and Grease. And yes I know John Travolta not dancing is huge mistake. Send the lawyers to a disco for crying out loud.
5. The People v OJ Simpson is really predictable. I don’t know what it is about the story line but I keep guessing it at every turn. It started right at the beginning when OJ tried to escape in the Bronco. I just knew he was going to get caught. And I knew that the gloves weren’t going to fit. I also am pretty sure that OJ did it but the defense will get him off. I’m not sure what it is. Perhaps it’s the writing, perhaps the story needed some M. Night Shyamalan love, but this has to be one of the most weirdly predictable whodunnits ever!
AMERICAN CRIME STORY: THE PEOPLE V OJ SIMPSON – REVIEW – The new American Crime Story is a drama that takes us all the way back to the nineties to one of the most celebrated cases in American judicial history.
The first season of the new anthology series American Crime Story has an all star cast including Sarah Paulson, John Travolta and Cuba Gooding Jr. and begins with a celebrated case in The People v O.J. Simpson. Here we have our EXCLUSIVE SPOILER FREE review.
O.J. Simpson either did or didn’t kill Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ronald Lyle Goldman. And he will or he won’t get away with it.
HOLLYWOOD – Following the success of American Crime Story: The People V O.J. Simpson, producers have already leaked their plans to film a second season of the anthology season this time focusing on another celebrity trial: The People v. Ariana Grande.
American Crime Story 2: The People v Ariane Grande is due to start filming early next month. Starring Lady Gaga as Ariana Grande, the story will recreate the famous donut incident that almost saw the diminutive diva’s career sent into a tailspin.
Show runners Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski dropped by the Studio Exec bungalow to talk about the show:
Everyone remembers where they were when they first saw the video footage of Ariana Grande that fateful day in the July of 2015 in Wolfee Donuts, Lake Elsinore in California. It was our 9/11. Or something similar. Vietnam or JFK getting shot. It was one of those. Or maybe it was all of them wrapped up into one huge media event.
Seriously, Scott? You think it’s that big a deal?
Yeah. Sure we didn’t have the white bronco going down the freeway but this was TMZ and it was everywhere. There were issues of fairness, celebrity, entitlement, sexism and race. It was explosive. Dangerous.
How is this comparable to the murder of two people, as was the case in the OJ trial?
You have to remember how big Ariana Grande was in 2015. She was huge. And not only did she lick a few donuts she also said that she ‘hated America’ and hated ‘Americans’. Nobody was talking about anything else. The traffic stopped in the streets. Brothers who hadn’t spoken for years, phoned each other up to discuss what the hell was going on. At the MLB all star game Demi Lovato had to rush in and replace Grande when she failed to show. I mean this effected everything.
But there wasn’t actually a trial. There weren’t even charges pressed.
Not a legal one. No. But the donut shop was cited by the department of health and for Ariana, there was a trial in the court of public opinion. And the repercussions are still with us even all these weeks later.
Joining Gaga will be David Schwimmer who play Ariana’s boyfriend Ricky Alvarez and John Travolta who will play the owner of the Donut store.
American Crime Story 2: The People v Ariana Grande will be broadcast in 2017.
HOLLYWOOD – John Travolta is one of the most popular stars of all time but what do we really know about him?
I’ve got FACTS they’re multiplying! And I’m losing control:
1. It’s hard to choose a stand out role in this fine actor’s long career: Tony Manero, Danny Zuko, Vincent Vega, Chili Palmer, Battlefield Earth dude or Robert Shapiro. However, John Travolta considers Broken Arrow his masterpiece. ‘I don’t know what it is about that movie,’ he said. ‘Everything seemed to go right. John Woo was a great director, Christian Slater was such a fresh young talent and I got to say the line, ” Would you please not shoot at the thermonuclear weapon?” which is the kind of line every actor dreams of saying.’
2. Not only can John Travolta can fly an airplane, he can do it with no hands. And when the plane takes off, he always likes ‘to pop a wheelie’ before soaring into the wide blue yonder.
3. When filming Grease it soon became apparent that John Travolta’s singing voice wasn’t strong enough. And so Billy Joel overdubbed all the songs and much of the speaking parts.
4. To research American Crime: The People v O.J. Simpson, John Travolta spent hours watching television and wearing clothes. The television program he watched was Friends because he wanted to feel close to Ross Kardashian.
5. Although there are many people who criticise Mr. Travolta’s adherence to the Church of Scientology, as a humorous website we applaud it and hope that it long may continue.
For more FACTS on everything from this to that click HERE!
HOLLYWOOD – The Grease Live television special broadcast last night on Fox to almost universal critical acclaim has been accused of plagiarism, by none other than John Travolta.
The TV spectacular Grease Live has been accused of plagiarism by former star John Travolta. Starring Julianne Hough as Sandy and Aaron Tveit as Danny Zuko, the musical haled back to the old fashioned rock n’ roll of the 1950s with songs like ‘Hopelessly Devoted’ and ‘Greased Lightning’, but John Travolta has issued a statement threatening legal action:
It was clear to me last night as I watched ‘Grease Live’ that I’d seen this somewhere before. The songs were familiar. At first I thought that this was because they were so good. The way when you hear a Beatles song for the first time you feel you’ve already heard it a thousand times before. But then imagine my horror when I realized I remembered these songs because I had sung some of them. Yes, Grease Live bore an uncanny resemblance to the film Grease that I starred in sometime in 1978! In fact even the title was almost exactly the same with the additional word Live barely camouflaging the subterfuge.
A legal representative to Fox told the Studio Exec:
We bought the rights to the show. We’re totally covered. We’ve made no secret of this being a revival of an original property.Far from it, we’re depending on a certain nostalgia from the original musical.
Despite his accusations, John Travolta had nothing but praise for the stars:
They were all great especially Vanuppa Humunigeners.
Grease Live was broadcast on Sunday 31st of January.
Hidden Gems brings to light little known film gems which have somehow slipped through the collective cinematic consciousness. You’re welcome.
The fifties were an innocent time. Cheerleaders in bobby socks, Rock n’ Rollers in leather jackets and slicked back hair, Summer loving happened some would say too fast and everyone went to school until they were in their mid-thirties. Olivia Newton-John plays Sandy Olsen, an Australian housewife who has come to America to hang out in high school. John Travolta is Danny Zukko, a slightly younger version of the Fonz, who falls for Sandy during a brief holiday romance, only to find her at his school. Unable to connect with her again because of the homo-eroticism of his middle aged man leather gang, Danny spoons around singing and Sandy, befriended by the local girls (less so the acerbically fun Stockard Channing), sings about girl’s nights etc.
There’s a James Dean style dragster race along a dry river bed, a dance contest and a subplot about pregnancy, but we’re all just marking time happily enough until school breaks up once more and we finally can fly off into space on a magical car!
The genius of this little known film – you are more likely to have seen Grease 2 – is its absolute pig-headed determination to not give a shit. It is exuberant fun with a bucket of good tunes, breezy good humor and the sense that youth is wasted on the young, so we’ll be young again too. John Travolta took years to recover from the disappointment of the films commercial and critical failure, only resurfacing in the mid nineties with Broken Arrow.
For more Hidden Gems CLICK HERE.
HOLLYWOOD – Quentin Tarantino has just released some rare photographs of early screen tests for “Pulp Fiction”.
First there was the list of casting possibilities and today saw the release of some rare photographs depicting screen tests from Pulp Fiction, offering a rare insight into the film that could have been. In the first shot Jules is still played by Samuel L. Jackson but John Travolta had originally turned down the role of Vince Vega and the character was played by Jim Carrey. Carrey was eager to establish himself as a serious actor, following his success in such films as “Ace Ventura” and “The Mask”.
The second picture shows another hopeful for the role of Vince Vega, the self-proclaimed King of Pop Michael Jackson. An obvious attraction was his suitability for the dance scene, but it turned out that his acting ability did not match his moves.
Quentin Tarantino spoke EXCLUSIVELY to the Studio Exec about the photographs and the story behind them:
Casting Pulp Fiction was especially difficult. With Reservoir Dogs I had really just been lucky, but for Pulp Fiction I had so many people knocking on my door, I could have cast anyone. I was so enthused that I ended up testing anyone I could think of, just so I could talk to them and spend some time with them. I think when it came down to it I never had any intention of casting Michael Jackson as Vega. Carrey on the other hand was very close to how I had imagined Vincent. But then Travolta finally came to his senses and that was that.
An exhibition of Pulp Fiction memorabilia is currently on display in PixelFaker’s closet HERE.
Hidden Gems is a series bringing to light little known filmic gems and rarities that have somehow managed to slip through the collective cinematic consciousness. You’re welcome. This week Pulp Fiction.
Don’t let the title put you off, this little known B-film ‘giallo’ Pulp Fiction by reclusive Italian neo-realist director Quentinio Tarantino is well worth seeking out.
Starring a cast of unknowns – Tarantino in one of the rare interviews he has given said he despised Hollywood celebrity – the film tells three inter-related stories of the ‘malavita’ of Los Angeles. Hitman Vince Vega is played with sleazy charm by newcomer John Travolta, whose dialogue was dubbed by Michael J. Fox so thick was his Calabrian accent. Murderous boxer Butch is played by Bruce Willis, a television actor who at the time had a hugely successful career as a recording artist. Now, alas, little seen.
The dialogue fizzes and the plot twists as effectively as Mia Wallace (Uma Furman [sic]) and Vince on the dance floor.
What happened to Tarantino and why he never made another film remain mysteries to this day.
HOLLYWOOD – Following Alex Gibney’s documentary Going Clear, Hollywood’s leading exponents of the Church of Scientology have called for the church’s status as a religion to be rescinded and replaced with an official recognition on the part of the federal government as a ‘cult’.
‘It’s a move Scientology has been considering for some time,’ said Giovanni Ribisi. ‘We were looking around at the Catholic church and the Muslims and what not and we thought, jeez, maybe being a cult is sexier!’
John Travolta also added his voice to the cause. ‘Nothing much will change,’ said the Looks Who’s Talking 2 star. ‘You still get to believe in crazy shit, but we don’t have to pretend to be normal anymore, which frankly has been a strain.’
However, former Scientologist Paul Haggis believes that the move from religion back to cult will change very little in the organisation. ‘They’ve tried this before,’ said the Crash director. ‘This is an organisation that recruited Charlie Manson as an attempt to improve its PR, for Hubbard’s sake.’
The move is believed to have come following a viewing by church leaders of the Alex Gibney HBO documentary, Going Clear which aired last Sunday. An anonymous source said:
We all sat and watched the film and when it was over there was this silence. It was eerie and then a voice said from the dark, ‘F*ck it, let’s just be cult.’ And that’s what was decided.
We will keep you up to date as this story develops.
HOLLYWOOD – In the early hours of this morning, Hollywood legend Gary Busey woke to find his mouth had been stolen.
The thieves had managed to enter Mr. Gary Busey’s home in Malibu via a screen door at the back of the property, disable his security system and steal the Point Break actor’s mouth without waking him or his wife. Police detectives called to the scene said that this was a highly unusual crime but Mr. Busey’s mouth was an extremely valuable collectable with some collectors willing to pay up to $3ooo dollars for the item.
Detective Stokes of the LAPD said that such body thefts were becoming increasingly regular in the Hollywood Hills:
Essentially there is a roaring trade in black market body souvenirs and the thieves have become incredible sophisticated. We have reason to believe that they might be recruiting plastic surgeons who ‘know their way around’ the target’s anatomy so to speak.
The theft comes only two weeks following the theft of John Travolta’s body hair. In the 1990s Daniel Day Lewis has his left foot surgically removed as he slept but the thief was apprehended and Day Lewis’ foot was sewn back on, an adventure which led to his New York Times Bestseller My Actual Left Foot.
Detective Stokes said that they were confident of retrieving Gary Busey’s mouth and making arrests in the following 24 hours:
If it’s still in the country then I believe we will be able to track it down and retake it. I mean this is Gary Busey’s mouth. There’s no way they’re going to be able to keep it quiet.
Gary Busey was unavailable for comment, because his mouth had been stolen.
California – The church of Scientology has today declared that John Travolta’s membership of the religion has been revoked.
“He’s got nothing to do with us”, said chief Scientologist David Miscavige:
I’ve informed all members that they should break contact with Mr Travolta and if they bump into him, they should just look the other way and pretend he’s not there.
A prominent member of the Church who wished to remain nameless said Travolta has had this coming for a while:
He’s just a strange guy and having him around is bad for PR. I mean let’s be honest, Scientology is creepy enough and the last thing it needs is some face-touching weirdo on the books. We’ve talked about making him ‘disappear’ numerous times but he’s too much of a public figure. We can get away with that kind of thing if the person isn’t well known but people would notice he was missing.
Travolta’s reputation has sunk to such depths that even the billion year old soul of the alien spirit currently inhabiting his body has had enough:
F*ck this for a game of soldiers. I’m off to posses Kurt Russell.
HOLLYWOOD – The 2015 Academy Awards are over, but now the race is on for the 2016 Oscars and the Studio Exec has its FACT squad standing by.
1. Michael Keaton will receive a nomination for Batman 4. Admittedly, there have been other Batmans and we’re not sure how the numbers add up, but the title will be an obvious homage to the Birdman 4 film that Riggan refused to countenance in Birdman.
2. In an ill-advised attempt to win over Twitter, John Travolta will host the Oscars, ensuring a Lovecraftian vibe with fellow Thetans as guest hosts and everyone else soon becoming ‘hosts’ of another kind when the psychotropic light show renders them all brain slaves ready to enter the Hubbard ship.
3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens and The Hateful Eight will be vying for the top spot as well as Leonardo di Caprio in The Revenant and Ron Howard’s In the something of the Sea. As the Academy has proven itself hopelessly poor at the nominating process, cage fights will take the place of ballots and nominees will be eliminated in a series of televised rounds.
4. In an ill-advised attempt to show that basically us show business types are color blind everyone will attend the ceremony in black face. For black guests this will be of course optional. Ridley Scott will be in charge with a spray gun for the forgetful.
5. The women will wear clothes and the men will
in a break with tradition also wear clothes. They will be of different colors and materials, and styles and there will be names attached to them. Anyone who cares about this will later be rounded up, come the revolution.
For more Movie FACTS CLICK HERE!
MARS – NASA poured cold water over the hot lonely crotches of conspiracy theorists everywhere this week by claiming new images of the Mars surface, which apparently show a mysterious looming obelisk with what appears to be a sinister smiling face depicted on it, are nothing but a trick of the light.
With our newly acquired satellite ‘Deep Peep 3000’ The Studio Exec decided to have a look for ourselves but our results are sadly inconclusive.
For many years Capricorn One viewers have argued that Elvis Presley, the assassin of John F. Kennedy, had not actually died but was living on Mars and shooting a film directed by Stanley Kubrick. The Shining is a key text which reveals in hidden patterns and code the location of Presley and a complete confession of how the Moon landings were faked because NASA in effect missed the Moon and landed on Mars. Watch Danny’s jumper closely.
More recently rumors that Tom Cruise had moved to Mars alongside John Travolta and Giovanni Ribisi were dismissed out of hand by ex-President George Bush who added that he did not bring down the twin towers as part of an intricate plan to do a load of things that nobody wanted to do.
Recent photographs relayed back from Mars have given theorists fresh grist to their mill, but as we can see from the evidence above it is likely that this is merely an optical illusion caused by the Loch Ness monster which was just out of shot.
HOLLYWOOD – Film actress and political activist Olivia Wilde finally admitted today that she comes from another planet, ending years of speculation that about the Drinking Buddies actress’ extraterrestrial origins.
She told shocked delegates at a meeting of PETA: ‘I’m a Vegan.’
The astonished audience broke into confused applause. One onlooker who wasn’t astonished was noted Alien Watcher, Sybil Stokes:
I’ve had my eye on Wilde for some time. I believe that every actor/actress confesses to their alien origins in their choice of film roles. They can’t help it. Aliens are so up themselves. Look at John Travolta in Battlefield Earth or better still: don’t. ‘Olivia Wilde’ has played an alien in Cowboys and Aliens and a weird computer thing in Tron Legacy.
The planet Vega is part of the Sirius solar system and has been known to support potentially intelligent life for years. Vegans, who have come to our planet via a series of ‘space tubes’, assume humanoid form, but give themselves away via their weird eyes and the way they refuse to eat meat, fish, eggs and dairy products, which badly effect their alien digestive system.
Lazarus will be released in 2015.