HOLLYWOOD – American Crime Story: The People v OJ Simpson has been a surprise hit, with John Travolta and Cuba Gooding Jr starring in the true crime drama for FX.
I’ll say it right off the bat, I am enjoying American Crime Story: The People v OJ Simpson, but even its most ardent fans have to admit we are enjoying it sometimes for the wrong reasons. Here are five of them.
1. Everyone says exactly what the writers want the audience to know. Almost as if the writer has prepared a schematic of a screenplay and then forgot to write actual dialogue. So Robert Kardashian will tell his daughter Kim Kardashian that fame is a hollow thing and when he is having doubts about OJ’s innocence will say ‘I’m having doubts about OJ’s innocence’. Johnnie Cochran, a lawyer who only cares about winning, will say ‘I only care about winning’. And so it goes… No ambiguity, no layers, no subtlety.
2. Cuba Gooding Jr’s voice. It starts off whiny and by episode two I can still put up with it. After all, he has either just murdered his wife and the guy she was with or has just found out that his wife has been murdered, so he’s upset, but the whine goes on. And on. I’m not asking for strict verisimilitude, but OJ has a basso profondo and Cuba has a falsetto. Likewise, OJ was a noted football star and Cuba looks like the kid who got his butt smacked with wet towels by the big kids.
3. Marcia Clarke smokes lots of cigarettes and Sarah Paulson acts smoking lots of cigarettes. And it shows.
4. There has not yet been an opportunity for John Travolta to dance. Yes, I know John Travolta is a serious dramatic actor. Yes, I know he wants to get rid of the image of Staruday Night Fever and Grease. And yes I know John Travolta not dancing is huge mistake. Send the lawyers to a disco for crying out loud.
5. The People v OJ Simpson is really predictable. I don’t know what it is about the story line but I keep guessing it at every turn. It started right at the beginning when OJ tried to escape in the Bronco. I just knew he was going to get caught. And I knew that the gloves weren’t going to fit. I also am pretty sure that OJ did it but the defense will get him off. I’m not sure what it is. Perhaps it’s the writing, perhaps the story needed some M. Night Shyamalan love, but this has to be one of the most weirdly predictable whodunnits ever!
AMERICAN CRIME STORY: THE PEOPLE V OJ SIMPSON – REVIEW – The new American Crime Story is a drama that takes us all the way back to the nineties to one of the most celebrated cases in American judicial history.
The first season of the new anthology series American Crime Story has an all star cast including Sarah Paulson, John Travolta and Cuba Gooding Jr. and begins with a celebrated case in The People v O.J. Simpson. Here we have our EXCLUSIVE SPOILER FREE review.
O.J. Simpson either did or didn’t kill Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ronald Lyle Goldman. And he will or he won’t get away with it.
HOLLYWOOD – Cuba Gooding Jr has discovered a knife in the grounds of OJ Simpson’s former Los Angeles residence.
Cuba Gooding Jr, star of American Crime Story, was today in the news after he discovered a knife in the grounds of OJ Simpson’s Los Angeles residence. He spoke exclusively to the Studio Exec:
When I am preparing for any role, but especially the role of a real person, I love to roll up my sleeves and really dig deep. And when I say dig deep, I mean literally go into the garden and start digging. I often go into the rooms and look around in the closets, looking quite literally for skeletons that might be in there.
But you had already finished filming.
I know, but actors aren’t just robots man. They can’t just pull the plug. I was obsessed with OJ and I still felt that I needed to understand what had happened that night. I was sleeping in the bushes for five months.
And then you found the knife?
I was digging quite a lot. What surprises me is that no one else had found it! But still, anyway I can’t help uncover the truth, I’m happy to do it. Finally I can say goodbye to OJ.
American Crime Story: The People v OJ Simpson is currently being broadcast.
HOLLYWOOD – For years people have asked the question: what is the point of Cuba Gooding Jr?
Why is he famous? And what exactly is he for? The Studio Exec FACT SQUAD is on his tail and will shout ‘Show me the FACTS’! until he does.
1. Cuba Gooding Jr. was born in New York, not Havana, not even Miami, but New York. No where near Cuba. His name comes from his father who was called Cuba Gooding Sr. Cuba copied the name almost word for word but changed the last word from ‘Sr.’ to ‘Jr.’ and nobody knows why.
2. His first work was as a break dancer for Lionel Richie at the opening ceremony of the Los Angeles Olympic games. Other early jobs including body bopping on CNN’s cancelled early evening show ‘Body Popping the Headlines’.
3. Cuba won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in Cameron Crowe’s Jerry Maguire and during his acceptance speech caused controversy for claiming that dogs never looked up.
4. More recently Cuba has preferred to work in the straight to DVD genre, claiming he is freer to express himself.
5. Although a committed born again Christian, Cuba was never actually born again. This is a metaphor that is sometimes used in the evangelical community and does not mean what it misleadingly seems to, as the ‘born again Christian’ does not have to literally climb back through the vagina and into the womb only to be once more expelled.
For more FACTS Click Here.