REVIEW – FREE FIRE: It’s like Reservoir Dogs if they hadn’t left the bank.
Some films have great shoot outs. Sergio Leone and Quentin Tarantino, John Woo turns it up to eleven. The Wild Bunch is probably the acme. But Free Fire is basically just the shoot out. When a gun deal goes wrong between a bunch of Irish terrorists and a South African arms dealer, a free for all ensues. The causus belli actually has nothing to do with the deal. Cillian Murphy, Sharlto Copley, Sam Riley, Jack Reynor, Brie Larson, Armie Hammer, Michael Smiley, Patrick Bergin and Babou Ceesay are all good. The dialogue by Amy Jump is hilarious and tastes of cement and gun powder.
Ben Wheatley has quietly stacked up quite a resume. From his dark gothic Kill List to the comic verve of Sightseers. Free Fire might not have made the biggest commercial splash on its release, but it is destined to cult classic status. Go see it.
HOLLYWOOD – The first trailer for Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk dropped, disappointing many One Direction fans.
The trailer for Christopher Nolan’s first foray into comedy Dunkirk hit the internet today. However, One Direction fans felt a little disappointed that the soundtrack didn’t give a taste of any new One Direction material. Christopher Nolan told the Studio Exec EXCLUSIVELY that fans shouldn’t panic:
Look, we haven’t put any songs in the trailer. Neither have we given the whole story away in the trailer either, or all the lines. We want to hold something back. And the One Direction songs, which will include a cover of Rio by Duran Duran, exist as an integral part of the story.
However, One Directioners everywhere, or 1Ders, or 1 D1rect1oners or… well them, fumed across internet message boards. Joey1dLover wrote:
This is bullsh1t!
Another one – Another1Done – wrote:
Shitty bull balls and horse’s piss flaps. Who are all these soldiers and why did Harry have to cut his ha1r?
The film set for a summer release tells the story of the retreat and evacuation of the British army from the beaches of France in 1940. It stars Tom Hardy, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy, Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson, Naill Horan, Liam Payne and Mark Rylance. Though rumors of an appearance by Zayn Malik remain unconfirmed.
Dunkirk will be released in 2017.
LONDON – The Inception and Dark Knight trilogy director Christopher Nolan’s new film Dunkirk has begun filming but what do we actually know about the Second World War epic?
We sent the Studio Exec FACT Squad to the beaches of Northern France and then had to rescue them in a fleet of small fishing vessels.
1. Dunkirk will be Christopher Nolan’s first period film – except for The Prestige – and his first film to have a one word title – except for Inception and Interstellar and Insomnia and Memento – Okay it’s the fifth film to have a one word title, but it doesn’t begin with ‘In’, so that’s something.
2. The cast of Dunkirk features a slew of Christopher Nolan regulars such as Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy. The most eye-catching casting decision comes in the form of One Direction singer Harry Styles who will also perform a number of anachronistic pop songs, including a cover of Britney Spears’ Hit Me Baby (One More Time), which according to the shooting script is played over an aerial bombardment of London.
3. The historical events which serve as the inspiration for the film involved an operation to rescue the retreating remnants of the British Expeditionary Force. Nolan has gone on record as saying he is aiming for maximum authenticity and ‘except for the Batman cameo, that’s exactly what you’ll see.’
4. Christopher Nolan continues his commitment to film as opposed to digital and will shoot the film in 70mm making it the smallest film ever made.
5. Music for the film will once more be provided by Hans Zimmer who has already started preparing the score. He told the Exec: ‘We want a period feel but we also want to attract a younger audience to the movie, especially with Harry Styles involved, so we’re going to have this old Vera Lynne, Glenn Miller orchestra playing popular songs by One Direction, Rihanna and Justin Timberlake.
For more FACTS on everything from this to that click HERE!
HOLLYWOOD – Shocking news just in today that Thor the God of Thunder and James Hunt the star of Rush, Chris Hemsworth smells of baskets. And not good ones.
Chris Hemsworth is the elder member of a family of beefcake, that also includes Lawrence bait, Liam Hemsworth, who are currently plying their trade in the motion picture industry. Young Hemsworth has made something of a name for himself with performances as Thor in Thor and racing car driver James Rush in Rush as well as the eponymous Hat in the Michael Mann film no one went to see Black Hat. But today it was revealed to the world via an anonymous source that the hunky star with the ability to play it for laughs has a very distinct odor.
Ron Howard dropped by the Studio Exec bungalow to lay the lowdown on us wearing a heavy disguise as an old Richie Cunningham.
He smells of baskets. And not good fresh baskets either. Flower baskets, or baskets full of toys. No. The kind of baskets that have been used to catch crabs for generations and then have been left in the corner of the dockyard warehouse for like three years, until they’re covered in a strange black algae.
Exactly. And on the set everyone is going ‘Phew! Who cut the cheese?’ But then someone else, I think it was Cillian Murphy, said, ‘It doesn’t smell like cheese, or farts. It smells like baskets.’
How was it directing him In The Heart of the Sea?
I don’t know what you are talking about. I’m not Ron Howard. Ron Howard is the director of In the Heart of The Sea. I’m not he.
By the way you’re making a film about events that inspired Moby Dick.
Yes. That’s to say, Ron Howard is.
Why not just make a version of Moby Dick?
Chris Hemsworth smells of baskets, baskets, baskets.
In the Heart of the Sea will be in cinemas next month.