HOLLYWOOD – Hi, I’m James Gunn, director of Super, Slither and … oh yeah GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. Now some of you might remember I got into a bit of hot water with a sexist and homophobic blog post I wrote back in 2011 entitled ’50 Superheroes You Most Want to Have Sex With’. I’ve apologized and I regret it very much, but Studio Exec gave me the opportunity to redress the balance with another post along similar lines and I jumped at the chance. So here are my 5 Superheroes I’d most like to have a meaningful conversation with.
1. Batwoman. I’d first of all love to apologise to her and say I’m fully aware that Lesbian women do not need/want ‘curing’, especially not by misogynists like Tony Stark. Am I right, sisters? Then I’d read some poetry with her. Sylvia Plath is one of my favourite poets. Or not. I mean she might not be into poetry. That’d be something we’d have to find out.
2. Gambit. Again I’d probably want to apologise first off the bat for calling him a ‘Cajun fruit’. Then we’d talk about something else. I don’t know anything really. Soccer, or movies. Ken Loach’s Sex and the City 3. Though why I said that one in particular, I don’t know. That’s just bullshit right there. We could talk about, like, Captain Phillips just as easily. Or The Expendables 3!
3. Pepper Potts. I’d love to talk to Pepper. I think she’d make a wonderful stand alone movie. So far we’ve just seen her making coffee and screaming and stuff. It’d be great for the world to appreciate her as the intelligent and fully rounded and deep human being she actually is. And who doesn’t want more Gwyneth Paltrow in the world, am I right?
4. Gamora. Obviously, she’s a strong woman and she is also one of the stars of my new movie. The Guardians of the Galaxy. It rocks.
5. The Black Widow. Because I’d totally f*ck her. Oh shit! I mean I’d talk to… we’d talk about… Dostoevsky or Charlotte Bronte or someone. We’d… or who am I kidding?
The Guardians of the Galaxy is out now.