VENICE – Everyone knows the Venice Film Festival was initially inaugurated to celebrate pigeon cooking, but what other FACTS are there to be taken in on the Lido.
Let the Studio Exec FACT you up about all that goes on at the world’s oldest international film festival.
1. The Venice Film Festival was originally staged in Venice beach, Los Angeles but the venue had to be changed at the last minute because of rain.
2. The festival was created by the Italian Fascist regime, under the leadership of Benito Mussolini. Mussolini loved films, especially a sub-genre of Italian comedy Pranzo di Ebrei in which Jews were eaten by accident.
3. The most common sight at the festival is George Clooney. Even if he doesn’t have a film showing he turns up to help on the t-shirt stall.
4. Past winners of the Golden Lion, the top festival prize, have all met terrible fates. Kim Ki-Duk, Darren Aronofsky and Sofia Coppola have all disappeared without trace since winning the coveted prize.
5. Because the Venice Film Festival is the oldest running film festival in the world, film festivals like Toronto tend to come up to it and shout ‘Hey Granddad, Get out of the way!’ but Venice has decided to do a Stallone and just keep going.
Studio Exec will be tweeting and blogging from the Lido from The Venice Film Festival from 27th August to 7 September, 2013.