HOLLYWOOD – Now that the USA are through to the knock out stages of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, the FACT team at Studio Exec decided it was time to parachute into Brazil and score some FACTS about this most fascinating of ‘sports’.
1. The word ‘world’ in World Cup, actually means literally the world. And not just America as in World Series! Whatever will they think of next?
2. You can lose and still go through. Even though the USA lost to the Germans they still went through to the knock out stage because of something called ‘goal difference’. This refers to how well the ‘goalie’ – back woods mechanic Tim Howard in our case – decorates the goal with ethnic knick knacks, making it genuinely different.
3. The Rest of the World call soccer football but nobody knows why. The most likely theory is that an Englishman misheard a Portuguese sea captain while ordering oysters in an Amsterdam tavern, as immortalized in Jacques Brel’s ‘Amsterdam’, covered superbly by David Bowie.
4. When the ball misses going in the net, but hits the side netting or the post or the bar, this is worth half a goal. These half goals are only counted up in the case of a draw.
5. Biting Italian defenders is a popular sport in Uruguay in its own right. Luis Suarez was the under 21 champion, gnawing his way through the elderly 1976 Azzurri squad.
For more FACTS click here.