HOLLYWOOD – She is the director of The Piano and Top of the Lake and the last president of the Cannes jury but what do we really know about writer, producer and director Jane Campion. The Studio Exec flew the FACT Team to Australia to find out.
1. Jane Campion never won a competitive sport in her life and had the h permanently confiscated from her surname as recognition of this by the New Zealand government in 1987.
2. Jane Campion was nominated for an Oscar for her work on The Piano. The film was all about the adventures of a piano in the New Zealand rain forest. Try as it might it could not escape the clutches of the wicked Holly Hunter. Everyone was depressed except Harvey Keitel who was allowed to wander about in his birthday suit.
3. Although born in New Zealand, Jane Campion tells everyone she’s Australian because she thinks being Australian is ‘way cooler, especially since that asshole Peter Jackson ruined everything for everyone’.
4. By casting her as the lead in her erotic thriller In the Cut, Jane Campion was directly responsible for changing Meg Ryan from the sweet girl next door of romantic comedies, to the towering dramatic actress we know today.
5. Bright Star disappointed Science Fiction fans everywhere and by some is not even considered a Science Fiction film, but rather something to do with poetry. More sophisticated SF fans believed the film was a ‘metaphor’ for another film.
For more FACTS click here.